Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Deadlines


I work as a grants manager for a non-profit in Chicago. I've been in this position for about 2.5 months. Yesterday I faced my first scary deadline. With a $69,000 proposal due at 5:00 downtown, I finished printing and making the copies at 4:15. This is not how I function. EVER. Never ever ever do I wait for the last minute. But things happen and there I was, sweating it out all afternoon hoping that I'd get that damn thing in on time. And I did. 4:59 p.m. It's written on my receipt. *gasp*

But then I went to job number 2 and got to help make hummus, tabouli, and baklava. Have you ever seen what's in baklava? Phillo dough, butter, phillo dough, butter, phillo dough (etc), yummy nutty mixture in the middle, more phillo dough and butter. Bake. And the finishing touch (and the part that makes it absolutely inedible for me) is the syrup. Sugar and honey. A lot of it. Intense. But the boy was able to attend class and enjoy it all, which was fun.

I rolled into my apartment around 11:15, drank a porter (homebrew), and crawled into bed. I'm still tired this morning, but there are worse things in the world. Like baklava.

2 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

If baklava's the worst thing, then I'll take the worst. Mmm. I know, it's blood sugar hell after you eat it, but still. Mmmmmm.

Did you learn to make your own philo dough, too? Or did you use the pre-made stuff?

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

We used the premade stuff. It takes hours and hours and hours to make philo dough from scratch. And something similar to a printing press...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter