Monday, October 23, 2006

Bunny Hop

When the boy moved to Chicago, his lovely little Honda Civic came with him. He's been chauffeuring me all over in this cute little reliable car since he moved here in August. Why? Because I don't know how to drive a stick shift. Or I didn't until yesterday.

Finding an empty parking lot in Chicago is not an easy task. Finally I thought of a big high school with a decent sized parking lot that would likely be empty on a Sunday afternoon. It was. It even had a few speed bumps.

I've been so nervous about learning this. I don't own a car so I never drive. The last time I've driving was probably when I was home for Christmas last year. And before that? Who knows. So not only was I nervous about learning this new technique, I was also nervous about getting behind the wheel again period (of the boy's lovely little car no less!).

I get behind the wheel. Pull the seat WAY forward so as to push the clutch all the way to the floor. And then we're off. And I *wasn't that bad*! Granted, we had a few bunny hops (as the boy referred to them) and I certainly stalled the car a few times, but over all I got the hang of it.

Now it's on to the streets. Of Chicago. *ahem*

Stop. 1st gear. Stall. *HONK* repeat.

6 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

Just like ridin' a bike - no?
(I am partial to old used Honda Civics - usually with at least 100,000 miles on them - on my 7th one!)

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

LOL! Bunny hop? For some reason I can totally picture it!

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it sounds like you are having fun - and that is what life is all about!

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to have a 1984 grey Honda Civic, stick shift, and I miss it like WHOA. Watch out in the winter though. They're such light cars that they fishtail very easily on any kind of slippery surface (go back to that parking lot come January to practice your winter driving skills).

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Jana: noted. Maybe I'll just take the bus then? :)

I also apparently need to practice on hills. That just can't be fun!

tek

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got my Civic about 18 months ago that I also learned stick shift on. I love that car! And so does my dad when he barrows it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter